Forum Home Forum Home > Other Vehicles Area > Other Vehicles - Your Project
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

"WOOLY-BOOGER"

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HillBillE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: "WOOLY-BOOGER"
    Posted: 09 Dec. 2012 at 7:35pm
This rig started out as a '44 Dodge Power Wagon, I believe it was a command car, as it only has a single speed transfer case.

When my dad bought it, it was a frame, with only the Dodge radiator shell left for original body parts, and had an international cab just setting on it.

It turned out to be a great woods machine, and will skid logs all day long.LOL

Originally, we left the frame full length, and had a bunk on it, so we could haul 8' logs.

This ended up being to long for the woods with the limited turning. So we shortened it up.

When first shortened, the rear axle was bolted directly to the frame, with no suspension in the rear.

We also installed the boom, and the Braden PTO winch from my dad's '53 PW (Civilian version)

The boom and winch worked great! But the lack of articulation made it really hard to get around in the woods, not to mention hard on the drivetrain, as tires were being lifted a lot.

My dad started brainstorming, and came up with a 3 link type of hook up for the rear.

HillBillE View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HillBillE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec. 2012 at 7:49pm
With the single speed T-case, the rear diff is centered (the 2 speed T-case uses an offset diff, similar to the 2A)

We welded some heavy angle across the frame rails, and a truss on top of the pumpkin.

These were held together with a large pin.

Then we made some control arms to keep the axle in place:

The axle end is a tab welded to the tube, and a double shear end on the arm.

At the frame end, we used 2" trailer balls on the frame, and used 2" ID pipe for the top of the arm.

The pipe has a 'key hole' cut into it, to slip over the ball. Then an adjustment screw on the end, to keep the ball in the bottom of the key hole cut.

This improved the articulation tremendously!  And, since there are no springs or air bags in the rear, it's considered a tractor. All we needed was a 'slow moving' triangle on the back, and we can drive it on the road.Big smile

On the front, my dad built a push blade, and used a 2 way ram. The blade will pick the front end off the ground. (makes it nice to turn the wheels to full lock!)

The blade is great for pushing full length logs into a pile, and keep the landing clear for the next load.

The skidder has been in this configuration since the late '80's, and has worked great.

When we built our cabin, we cut and hauled all the logs to the sawmill, and after they were air dried, had some made into tongue and groove, others left rough cut. 

The only lumber in our cabin that didn't come off our property, is the plywood on the roof.Big smile

We still use it for dragging firewood out, and keeping the trails open at the cabin.
5 Jeeps, 4 HAM radios, and not enough things that go 'BANG!' (no, not hammers!)

N1CJP

'47 CJ2A #112146

'46 CJ2A #23754

'52 CJ3A #452-GB1-10197
F Bill View Drop Down

Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote F Bill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec. 2012 at 8:31pm
I LIKE it.. Neat backwoods engineering in it, and best part is it seems like it does the job well. Got any pics of it working? Sure beats spending megabucks for a real skidder.
If you haven't checked out the tech FAQ section, go to:
http://www.thecj2apage.com/forums/tech-faq_forum57.html
for a lot of great stuff you need to know!!

Oilleaker1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oilleaker1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec. 2012 at 10:06pm
Yankee engineering and what a great name! Reminds me of the rancher built hay baskets that were a pickup or truck originally. They  flipped the rear differential over in the leaf springs and drove the things backwards with the transmission going forward.  What are you using for engine transmission?, dodge original? John
Green Disease, Jeeps, Old Iron!
dennisanvil View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dennisanvil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec. 2012 at 3:04am
i think that your dad did a great job on the fab work.Thumbs UpThumbs Up
dennis
dennisanvil                   1948 cj2a, maker of tailgate hooks & hand forge iron ware
there not any knowen cure for jeep fever.
serial # 164136<
Haines Garage View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Haines Garage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec. 2012 at 3:40am
That is REALLY COOL! You should be on the Discovery Channel! Your post are fantastic, keep them coming brother!
HillBillE View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HillBillE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec. 2012 at 5:07am
Originally posted by Oilleaker1 Oilleaker1 wrote:

...  What are you using for engine transmission?, dodge original? John

Still a flathead 6, but it's a car motor, not the original truck one.

The trans is from my dad's '53 PW, since we needed the PTO to run the winch. Right now, the Wooly Booger's trans is in the '53.

Only thing changed was the rear axle location, and the rear driveshaft being shortened.

That's on the list to be restored also!

Here's one of it hauling a large maple tree.  We harvested about 6 this size, they were being killed by ants, so we salvaged them for firewood.

Somewhere, I have a video my oldest son took, of me hauling a load of ash out.

N1CJP

'47 CJ2A #112146

'46 CJ2A #23754

'52 CJ3A #452-GB1-10197
Haines Garage View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Haines Garage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec. 2012 at 12:04am
I'm not being smart here, but I notice the garage is a little bigger than the house in the photos. Is this a correct assessment? If so you get the Haines Garage Thumbs UpThumbs UpThumbs UpThumbs Up
HillBillE View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HillBillE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec. 2012 at 11:13pm
Originally posted by Haines Garage Haines Garage wrote:

I'm not being smart here, but I notice the garage is a little bigger than the house in the photos. Is this a correct assessment? If so you get the Haines Garage Thumbs UpThumbs UpThumbs UpThumbs Up

Ha-ha!  You are correct sir!  Seems to be a trend in my family!

The last shot is at our cabin, the cabin is 24x30, and the pole barn is 36x48 IIRC. And we have the 'Little garage' with the generator, hand tools, and other assorted small things in it. It's 12x20.

In the first pics (when it's on the trailer) is at my dad's house. Same thing, the pole barn is larger than the house, and my dad also has a small garage (14x20, perfect for working on the WILLYS) and an attached garage.

I just built a new shop here (old one burned last January Cry)

Our house is 20x22 (2 story + basement) and the new shop is 24x28 w/12' walls!

Had to go 12', so I could install a 2 post hoist to work on the JeepsThumbs Up

Anyway, I dug up a short video clip of the Wooly Booger in action!  I was dragging out some ash trees from the edge of an old beaver pond.

My oldest boy is 'Narrating' LOL

We've gone through and rebuilt the carb since this, and she's running smoother now.

N1CJP

'47 CJ2A #112146

'46 CJ2A #23754

'52 CJ3A #452-GB1-10197
 Post Reply Post Reply