Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Off-Topic area
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Work

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wish i knew more Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Work
    Posted: 21 Sep. 2018 at 5:47pm
We all talk about our work, and hopefully enjoy it. Maybe we could say what our work actually is. For those of you who are retired, you can say what you want.
I am a farmer with my dad. We grow corn for cattle. Rice for the Asians and Kelloggs. Cotton mainly for the seed, but also for the lint. I also help my grandpa with his hundred acres of almonds.
If this has been done before please tell me where so I can read it.

JeepFever View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeepFever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep. 2018 at 6:42pm
I remembered this has come up before,   but I knew it had been several years,  did some searching and found the older one.    Since that thread,  there are lots of new members,  and probably some careers changes as well.  ie. probably a good time for update.

link to earlier thread:
(16 pages spanning from 2008 to 2014) Smile   I posted in there somewhere, but will update here:

Since college,  for 38 years, I have been working for a Ridgid manufacturing plant of approx. 150 employees. . . .   I started as design mechanical engineer,  but (long story) I am now the "computer guy".

Edited by JeepFever - 22 Sep. 2018 at 4:19am
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep. 2018 at 7:30pm
I drive dump truck and pup trailet 105,500gvw for a paving and site developement co.
Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Late 50's 134L 9.25"clutch T90A D18 (1.25") D44/30 flanged E-Locker D25 5.38 Since 1962
SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep. 2018 at 7:49pm
Retired Coast Guard Chief Petty Officer. In a former life I ran a driveline shop specializing in repair of driveshafts, transmissions, transfer cases, and drive axles for all sizes of trucks from class 1 through Class 8.
46 CJ-2A #64462 "Ol' Red" (bought April 1969)(second owner)(12 V, 11" brakes, M-38 frame, MD Juan tub)

U.S. Coast Guard Chief Petty Officer(ret.)
U.S. Army Vietnam veteran and damned proud of it.

alaskanrocket View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alaskanrocket Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep. 2018 at 8:19pm
I work at a Gold Mine. I'm the planner for the Mill, basically I plan all of the long term maintenance work. I've done all different things out here in the last 13 years Mill Operator, Blaster, Mechanic, Maintenance supervisor and now this. Its a good gig, pays well and I get to go home every night.
ndnchf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ndnchf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep. 2018 at 8:59pm
I'm a retired Navy Chief Petty Officer. The last 20 years since retirement, I've worked as defense contractor providing combat and weapon system safety engineering support to the navy. After more than 40 years with the navy in one form or another, salt water still runs through my veins.
1948 CJ2A - It goes nowhere fast, but anywhere slow.
Mike F View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep. 2018 at 9:03pm
Engineer here working as a construction estimator. What I usually tell people is I don’t do anything I just think about doing stuff and how much it might cost

MDF
mbullism View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbullism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep. 2018 at 10:02pm
Project engineer for a small structural engineering firm.  I tell people we offer fast, right or cheap...pick two.

"Structural Engineering is the art and science of modeling materials we do not wholly understand, 

into shapes we cannot precisely analyze,

to withstand forces we cannot accurately predict, 

all in such a way that the general public has no reason to suspect the extent of our ignorance."

-(paraphrased) Dr. E.H. Brown

Edited by mbullism - 21 Sep. 2018 at 10:05pm
Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it... Welcome to 1930's Germany
Mike F View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep. 2018 at 10:51pm
Originally posted by mbullism mbullism wrote:

Project engineer for a small structural engineering firm.  I tell people we offer fast, right or cheap...pick two.

"Structural Engineering is the art and science of modeling materials we do not wholly understand, 

into shapes we cannot precisely analyze,

to withstand forces we cannot accurately predict, 

all in such a way that the general public has no reason to suspect the extent of our ignorance."

-(paraphrased) Dr. E.H. Brown

That pretty well sums it up
nofender View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nofender Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep. 2018 at 11:02pm
trucking....lots of trucking....

Started out loading them. Then I drove them. Fixed a few along the way. Then ran into a few companies that felt I knew things. Six years ago a company found me and gave me a few hundred of their trucks to go make money with. It's been a hell of a ride. 

But at the end of the day, I still feel like a trucker and am proud of it. 
46 CJ2a rockcrawler
46 CJ2a - 26819
46 Bantam T3c "4366"
47 Bantam T3C - 11800
68-ish CJ5
1947-cj2a View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1947-cj2a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep. 2018 at 3:01am
Draftsman for an engineering company. 30+ years of drawing plans.
RICH

1947 cj2a (Toy From Hell)
Nothing Special View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nothing Special Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep. 2018 at 3:03am
I'm a mechanical engineer.  I work at a manufacturing company as a "continuation engineer" which means I'm the guy they come to when they have problems in production with a product that another engineer designed.

Our company mostly makes little constant-torque hinges.  It's a really niche kind of thing, but at one point we made the hinges that hold up the screen on about 1/3 of the laptop computers made world-wide (pretty much out of that market now though).  And we make the hinges that go into the Chrysler minivans with Stow-and-Go seats (our hinges hold the floor panel up when you have the storage bin open) as well as a bunch of other automotive applications.
Bob

Flatfender wannabe
'71 Ford Bronco
usmcpmi View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote usmcpmi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep. 2018 at 3:17am
38 years as a Heavy equipment master mechanic. Mostly road construction equipment. Asphalt paving and grading. Also maintenance and repair of manufacturing equipment. Fabrication of special tools and equipment. Basically a trouble shooter and "fixer". That being said, 6 more years to retirement! 
'48 CJ2A/192948
'15 Wrangler Rubicon

Mark G.
JeepFever View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeepFever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep. 2018 at 4:33am
Originally posted by mbullism mbullism wrote:

The I.T. manager, who I replaced many years ago, used a very similar expression often . .  "good, fast, cheap -> pick any two" . .

it is so true.

JeepFever View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeepFever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep. 2018 at 4:35am
Originally posted by Mike F Mike F wrote:

Engineer here working as a construction estimator. What I usually tell people is I don’t do anything I just think about doing stuff and how much it might cost

LOL
leecarr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote leecarr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep. 2018 at 11:02pm
My family's been in the building trade since my grandfather. My father retired years ago (almost 89 and still going strong) and my kids are grown and do their own thing. After over 40 years started working for someone else in April, less headaches, paid holidays, good insurance (less money though but can't have everything). Day ends at 4:00 instead of however long it takes. 
mictat2214 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mictat2214 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep. 2018 at 12:02am
Retired ( 18 years ) buliding trades sheetmetal worker. 35 1/2 years of working outside, inside, top side below deck in all kinds of conditions and weather. Loved the trade but not the B.S.
Unkamonkey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unkamonkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep. 2018 at 12:05am
Depends on how far you want to go back. One grandfather was a stationary engineer and the other used to work for the UP railroad until the depression hit so he became a carpenter for the Denver schools. (I still have all of the old tools). For me, mowing of course, tires, any size, concrete, Jeep mechanic, framing, interior finish work, welding, The 2 things I fell the best about my life is the Jeep work id did and the work I on building interiors. I suppose I also have a degree in Geology.
uncamonkey
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>