Forum Home Forum Home > Buying, Selling or Trading > Wanted to Buy
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

WTB 11" backing plates in usable condition.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oldiron90 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: WTB 11" backing plates in usable condition.
    Posted: 27 Apr. 2021 at 12:32am
Looking for a pair of 11" backing plates meant for use with self adjusting brakes and e-brakes.

Prefer for them to be ready to used, not necessarily refurbished. 

Thanks!
OnlyOneDR View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OnlyOneDR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr. 2021 at 2:22am

Search for these, on eBay right now.

Willys * M38A1 Original Brake Backing Plates Pair (I11)

Searching for time to put it all together...
1950 CJ-3A #37751 In Pieces
1969 Chevy Blazer Resto-Mod Waiting for its day...
2001 Nissan Frontier Crawler Adventure Rig
48cj2a View Drop Down
Bantam Trailer Moderator
Bantam Trailer Moderator
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 48cj2a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr. 2021 at 3:35am
M38/M38A1's use 9" brakes.

Found this on another forum:

Looking in old Napa brake book it shows that the later shoes only come relined are #RS-10A same front and rear. 73-77 CJ5, CJ6, CJ7, DJ5 72-73 C104, Wagoneer, Truck 5000# 65-71 J162, 164, 262, 264, 362, 364. You should be able to source the brake parts from these vehicles. Also 74-76 Cherokee, Wagoneer, J-10, J-100 Truck used an 11"x2" shoe on the front, different part# B-280 these might work bat the rears are 11"x2 1/8".
Art C USAF (Retired)

47 CJ2A #134955 Project
48 CJ2A #206759
62 L6226 Station Wagon #58167 10900
45 T3-C #191 Project
http://www.bantamt3c.com
http://www.48cj2a.com
Oldpappy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oldpappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2021 at 6:24am

They show up on Ebay and the Jeep forums but they are beginning to get scarce and nice ones are getting hard to find.

In addition to the Jeep vehicles the brake backing plates from the early Broncos and IH Scout II will work fine and use the same shoes and hardware.

I have upgraded a couple of Jeeps to 11" brakes in the last year or so and had no problem finding the shoes and hardware. 

Sometimes the plates and hardware are easier to find if you search for 1973 Ford Bronco 11" Brakes.

I have some extra 11" backing plates and can come up with a "useable" pair. These are pitted from rust but are straight and should work fine. They are good enough I was going to use them on one of my Jeeps but came across some very nice ones a week ago I will use instead.

If you don't find some better ones I will sell a pair of these for $35 plus shipping. They will fit into a large USPS flat rate box.

If you can't get there in a Jeep you don't need to be there!
uncamoney View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uncamoney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2021 at 6:41am
You might consider Jeep station wagons and pickups as well.
john
Oldiron90 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oldiron90 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2021 at 12:30pm
Originally posted by Oldpappy Oldpappy wrote:

They show up on Ebay and the Jeep forums but they are beginning to get scarce and nice ones are getting hard to find.

In addition to the Jeep vehicles the brake backing plates from the early Broncos and IH Scout II will work fine and use the same shoes and hardware.

I have upgraded a couple of Jeeps to 11" brakes in the last year or so and had no problem finding the shoes and hardware. 

Sometimes the plates and hardware are easier to find if you search for 1973 Ford Bronco 11" Brakes.

I have some extra 11" backing plates and can come up with a "useable" pair. These are pitted from rust but are straight and should work fine. They are good enough I was going to use them on one of my Jeeps but came across some very nice ones a week ago I will use instead.

If you don't find some better ones I will sell a pair of these for $35 plus shipping. They will fit into a large USPS flat rate box.

Do your backing plates have provisions for an e-brake? 

I'm deleting the drum brake and companion flange on the Dana 18 in favor of a yoke and would still like to retain a mechanical e-brake.

I have an electric e-brake kit but would rather do 11" brakes.
Oldpappy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oldpappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2021 at 4:06pm
I think I have some rear backing plates which would have the brake port. I may even have some of the hardware, but they are not the rusted ones I priced at $35.

I will dig through my pile of parts this weekend and see what I have and set a reasonable price based on condition. 

One other thing you can do with rear drum cable actuated e-brakes is split them to two floor levers which will then allow you to brake one rear wheel at a time to transfer traction to the other side. Sort of a "poor man's locker". 

What is the electric e-brake kit? That sounds interesting to me.

If you are deleting the drive line brake I may be interested in parts if in good shape.  

Edited by Oldpappy - 06 May 2021 at 4:12pm
Oldpappy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oldpappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2021 at 9:34pm
Found a pair of 11" backing plates for the rear. 

They are badly pitted from rust so will need to be cleaned up, but they are straight and should work fine. 

Not sure what these came off of, probably a Wagoneer, but all of the rear backing plates I have used were just like these. 

The top two holes are spaced further apart because the axle flange was flattened off on those axles. What I do is bolt the bearing retainer on using the some of the other holes and use that for a guide to drill two new top holes. 

These are usable, but not in great shape because of the rust pitting, so will sell the pair for $30 plus shipping. They both will fit into a USPS large flat rate box which is $21.95 last I checked.

PM me if you are interested.

Oldpappy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oldpappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2021 at 11:33pm
Either he isn't interested, or hasn't been back on the forum? 

I have bought a lot of these and even with the rust pitting I offered these at a cheap price. I have paid $150 for a good pair.

Anyone else interested can PM me.
chasendeer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chasendeer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2021 at 1:11am
Are those right a a dana 25? They don't have a even mounting bolt pattern.
Jay
Oldpappy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oldpappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2021 at 9:45am
In my last post I mention that the top two holes are spread further apart and two new holes must be drilled. It is a simple modification. I bolt on a rear axle retainer and use that for a guide to drill the two holes. If I am using them on the back axle (D41 or D44) I drill an additional hole for the drain hole found at the bottom of those axles.

The rest of the bolt pattern is the same for a Dana 25, 27, 41, or 44 as used in the CJ Jeeps. So, while they are not "right" for a Dana 25 they can be used on one with that modification. 

If you want a set for a front axle (without the E-Brake fitting) I have the pair I mentioned in my first post. The bolt pattern on those are correct and do not need any drilling. That front pair is also rusty, but not as bad as these two rear ones.

Edited by Oldpappy - 12 May 2021 at 9:47am
 Post Reply Post Reply