Forum Home Forum Home > Buying, Selling or Trading > Wanted to Buy
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

WTB: Dana 27 Power-Lok and 5.38 R&P

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BD1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: WTB: Dana 27 Power-Lok and 5.38 R&P
    Posted: 16 June 2021 at 10:34pm
I have a Dana 27 that I would like to use in my '47 CJ2a, it currently has 3.73 gears and my rear is 5.38
As I need to replace the carrier in anyevent to run 5.38 gears I would like to go with a Power-Lok unit.
Anyone have a Dana 27 Power-Lok they're not using?
How about a 5.38 ring and pinion to go with it? Are 5.38 gears even made for the Dana 27?
BD
'47 CJ2a, Shiny on top!
'55 CJ5 project
jeepsterjim View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeepsterjim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 June 2021 at 4:06am
check with John and crew at Border Parts locate in Spring Valley, CA.  They carry a lot of old inventory and knowledge.  You can still find NOS D-27 PL's.
Jim
CJ-2A - 81299
oldtime View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldtime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 June 2021 at 9:52am
Check with Matt Fox of Quarter Ton and Military.
At one time he had s bunch of D27 Powr Loks for cheap.
Currently building my final F-134 powered 3B .
T98-A Rock Crawler using exclusive factory parts and Approved Special Equipment from the Willys Motors era (1953-1963)
Zero aftermarket parts

OnlyOneDR View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OnlyOneDR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 June 2021 at 2:16pm
Originally posted by oldtime oldtime wrote:

Check with Matt Fox of Quarter Ton and Military.
At one time he had s bunch of D27 Powr Loks for cheap.

They had those listed on ebay for a while (I bought one) but I do not see listings for them anymore. Might still be worth a call. 
Searching for time to put it all together...
1950 CJ-3A #37751 In Pieces
1969 Chevy Blazer Resto-Mod Waiting for its day...
2001 Nissan Frontier Crawler Adventure Rig
Oldpappy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oldpappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 June 2021 at 6:28pm
QTM has a lot of stuff that may or may not be listed on their Ebay store. Their phone number is on their website, so I guess it is okay to share it here 423-762-2380. I suggest giving them a call and ask Tony or Matt if they have any more of those units. Also ask about axles. I have bought two surplus M38 A1 front axles from them which have 5:38 gears in them, and when I bought the last one he still had 4 others on the pallet. Shipping on an axle would be expensive, but they say Fastenall will ship things at a reasonable price.

I put one of those military surplus front axles in my CJ2A and it is great, the steering is now like new, but much to my disappointment I discovered afterwards that the set of axles in that Jeep were not 5:38, so now I have the same problem as you with my axles not being the same ratio. I can't use 4WD, without driveline wrap, until I correct the problem with a new rear axle under that Jeep. Fortunately for me, I also bought a Marine surplus rear axle from Matt a few years ago which has the limited slip differential, so I know where it will be used. I don't think he still has any of those Marine axles. 

Edited by Oldpappy - 17 June 2021 at 6:36pm
If you can't get there in a Jeep you don't need to be there!
BD1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BD1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 June 2021 at 9:10pm
Unfortunately Matt won't deal with me because he sold me a really crappy fuel sending unit a while ago, then accused me of lying about it when I wanted to return it so I gave him a bad review. He did eventually let me return it, but as he accused me of lying, and ranted at me over the phone, I will not change that review.
BD
'47 CJ2a, Shiny on top!
'55 CJ5 project
Oldpappy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oldpappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 June 2021 at 8:33am
I have bought several fuel sending units from QTM and they have been fine, and worked just like they are supposed to work.
If you can't get there in a Jeep you don't need to be there!
windyhill View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote windyhill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 June 2021 at 4:09pm
Might have it, I got to look. 

Ok so I looked,  I have a Matching set of Axles out of an early CJ5,   But it's a Dana 25 front and 44 rear.  They have 5:38 gears and power locks in both axles! I've been saving them for the right project but might let them go.  I also have a few Open Dana 27's with the typical 3:73 gears in them out of early v6 cj5's.  

Edited by windyhill - 18 June 2021 at 4:23pm
'48 CJ2A
'53 CJ3B
'59 CJ6
'65 CJ5
'67 CJ5
BD1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BD1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 June 2021 at 10:45pm
I have a 25 with 5.38s, and I have a 44 with a powerLok in it already. Unfortunately there doesn't seem to be a good option for traction control in the 25, thats why I'm looking for the 27.
BD
'47 CJ2a, Shiny on top!
'55 CJ5 project
chasendeer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chasendeer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 June 2021 at 10:54pm
You can run a power lock in your 25. I have a spare 

Jay
BD1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BD1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 June 2021 at 11:02pm
I bought this fuel sender on Ebay, without even knowing that it was ATM selling it. It was advertised as "Not the cheap plastic unit that won't fit through the stock hole in your tank". with a picture of an all metal sending unit with a brass float.  However when it arrived it was in fact the white plastic unit that doesn't fit through the hole in the tank and it had the cheap hollow plastic float. When I called the number listed in the Ebay add I got QTM, And he insisted that he could not have sent me that unit, and I must have bought it someplace else. As I was just starting into the Shiny at that time I knew it was the only unit I had ever ordered, and I still had the packaging, packing slip and credit card receipt. He flat out called me a liar on the phone. He would not even talk to me after that until I posted a review on Ebay describing what had occurred. Then he called me and admitted that he may have sent out some of those units without really looking in the boxes to see what he had bought in bulk, and he told me if I returned it in the original packaging he would refund the price. So I did that, and he did refund it.  And then he asked me to change my review. I posted that he had finally addressed the issue, and I was fine with that. But I refused to take down the original bad review, as it was entirely accurate and factual, and while he was entirely in the wrong he had called me a liar. The next time I ordered something from him he cancelled the order and refunded the money. After that happened a few more times I just decided not to deal with the guy.
BD
'47 CJ2a, Shiny on top!
'55 CJ5 project
BD1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BD1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 June 2021 at 11:08pm
Chasendeer, do you have a powerlok for the 25, or the 27?
I ask because I have a perfectly good Dana 25 in Shiny now, except that it has the Bendix shafts. The 27 has the spicer Cardon Cross shafts. So if I use the 25 I'm looking at new shafts, but that would still be easier than putting a 5.38 ring and pinion set in the 27. But any amount of machining work required would throw the cost benefit ratio to the Dana 27.

Edited by BD1 - 20 June 2021 at 11:15pm
BD
'47 CJ2a, Shiny on top!
'55 CJ5 project
chasendeer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chasendeer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 June 2021 at 12:58am
Yes I have a Dana 25 power lock. You could use the shafts out of the 27 in the 25. Pm me a phone or email if interested in it. It has one trip over the rubicon on it. 
Jay
oldtime View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldtime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 June 2021 at 1:46am
I,ve been running Powr Lok D25’s since 1984.
I prefer the D25 over the D27. IMHO it has a superior carrier housing but the D27 hubs and bearings are superior. The D27 hubs and bearings can be swapped in. 
Install either the Rzeppa or Spicer type axle shafts.
Rzeppa will allow slightly extra steering angle if your tires are under 30” tall.
At 30” tall your probably better off running the Spicer shafts since the tires will just be into the springs at full steer.
My current rig has Powr Loc D25 with Spicer shafts and 6.50 x 16
STA Super Traxions @ 30” tall and the Spicers are not past the maximum 27-1/2* steer angle.

Edited by oldtime - 21 June 2021 at 1:48am
Currently building my final F-134 powered 3B .
T98-A Rock Crawler using exclusive factory parts and Approved Special Equipment from the Willys Motors era (1953-1963)
Zero aftermarket parts

Post Reply Post Reply