Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Jeep Photos and Stories
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

WW2 onboard USS Essex

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SlaterDoc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: WW2 onboard USS Essex
    Posted: 12 Mar. 2021 at 9:01am
I am the current caretaker of a collection of over 300 photos that were taken by Chief Photographer's Mate Paul Madden, while onboard USS Essex during the war. I'd forgotten there were jeeps among them! So here they are!

Edited by SlaterDoc - 12 Mar. 2021 at 9:03am
Once a Navy man, always a Navy man!
drm101 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote drm101 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar. 2021 at 11:46am
Amazing! Any idea where the last photo was taken? Looks like they built an airfield.
Dean
'47 CJ2A "Mud Hen"
The less the Power the More the Force
SlaterDoc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SlaterDoc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar. 2021 at 1:49pm
That is at the Ketena Airstrip on Okinawa. Here is the story that goes with that picture, taken from the "Battle Report":

otto View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote otto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar. 2021 at 3:56pm
I’m always impressed with how sharp and clear the old black and white photos are. 
47 CJ2A w/fuel injected boat engine
48 CJ2A
64 Ford Econoline Travelwagon
If you can't get there in a Jeep, get a motorcycle!
WillysWally View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WillysWally Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar. 2021 at 6:41pm
Good Afternoon Everyone:

If you are interested in a really great read on the battle of Okinawa, it is With The Old Breed by E.B. Sledge, aka Sledgehammer.  Sledge was a crew member on a mortor crew in Company K, 3 Battalion 5th Marine Regiment, 1st Marine Division.  It is his memoir of his experiences as a ground pounder on Peleliu and Okinawa.  He details the ferocity of taking those ridges on both islands.

The Book in part was also the basis of the HBO Hanks/Speilberg miniseries The Pacific.

Regards,

Walter 
uncamoney View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uncamoney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar. 2021 at 7:01pm
Thanks for the book leads.
My father never talked much about his  injuries from Anzio. He had a nice ride home anyway in the hospital ship.
Back to Jeeps, we bought a MB. Whenever he drove it he had the biggest grin on his face. I suppose as a PFC you weren't allowed to do much driving.
john
uncamoney View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uncamoney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar. 2021 at 7:07pm
As to photo film, I liked shooting B@W. Some people hate the format. My camera collection runs from a Kodak  bellows to 3 digital. 
john
WillysWally View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WillysWally Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar. 2021 at 8:53pm
Good Afternoon Uncamoney:

Where do you get your film?

I have a Graflex K-20, WWII aerial reconnaissance camera.  It was a hand held camera that could be mounted in a belly mount of an L-5 Stinson light aircraft.  It uses the large format 4 x 5  film.  The problem I have had is finding a source for the film.  Any Ideas?

Regards,

Walter

uncamoney View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uncamoney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar. 2021 at 9:42pm
What size of film? I think my old Kodak bellows could be fun to find film for  Moms old Brownie is K124. My old Argus C3 is regular 35mm as is my Canon TX. I needed a totally manual camera for my geology close ups. Soup can lens extender, works great.
A friend hunted for years  to find a Crown Graphic, old press camera. Only one place in Denver to get film and devellop it. Plates, you learn how to do them on your own. I used to know how to devellop B&W film.
john
SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar. 2021 at 12:05am
Originally posted by WillysWally WillysWally wrote:

Good Afternoon Uncamoney:

Where do you get your film?

I have a Graflex K-20, WWII aerial reconnaissance camera.  It was a hand held camera that could be mounted in a belly mount of an L-5 Stinson light aircraft.  It uses the large format 4 x 5  film.  The problem I have had is finding a source for the film.  Any Ideas?

Regards,

Walter

As easy as Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/Kodak-137-1517-Professional-Negative/dp/B00009XW1G
46 CJ-2A #64462 "Ol' Red" (bought April 1969)(second owner)(12 V, 11" brakes, M-38 frame, MD Juan tub)

U.S. Coast Guard Chief Petty Officer(ret.)
U.S. Army Vietnam veteran and damned proud of it.

bight View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar. 2021 at 12:41am
that first photo is incredible. those guys were just kids.

Chief Photographer's Mate Paul Madden was obviously a talented and capable photographer.

hats off to all the WWII vets.
CJ-2A 72586 tan (stock)
CJ-2A 197624 green (resto-mod)
the wife abides (def: to bear patiently; TOLERATE)
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar. 2021 at 2:03am
B&H Photo on line will carry almost every currently available film stock. I still have a freezer full of it I need to use.
Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Late 50's 134L 9.25"clutch T90A D18 (1.25") D44/30 flanged E-Locker D25 5.38 Since 1962
Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar. 2021 at 3:27am
Originally posted by bight bight wrote:

I had coffee with one of those kids today. He was 20 years old when he was on Luzon. He recently celebrated his 97th birthday. 
BW 
It is NOT a Jeep Willys! It is a Willys jeep.

Happy Trails! Good-bye, Good Luck, and May the Good Lord Take a Likin' to You!

We Have Miles to Jeep, Before We Sleep.
SlaterDoc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SlaterDoc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar. 2021 at 7:51am
More importantly, Brave (as were most of that greatest generation)!
He made many trips on combat missions in the planes! These show how close he came!

SlaterDoc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SlaterDoc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar. 2021 at 8:50am
And, just how close? On one of those air missions he almost "bought the farm"! A japanese round grazed him in the head! Good thing they kept all that rear armour! Yes, he received the Purple Heart.

One more jeep....can you see it?

A couple of "Burma's" on Eniwetok... jeeps in the background

The real purpose of the jeeps on the carriers

SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar. 2021 at 12:53pm
Originally posted by bight bight wrote:

<span style=": rgb248, 248, 252;">Chief Photographer's Mate Paul Madden was obviously a talented and capable photographer.</span>

We have always sent our kids off to war. It wasn't just WWII. Soldiering is a young man's job. I look at pictures of the kids in my Army unit in Vietnam and reunion pictures of the same people fifty some-odd years later and wonder who all those old farts are...including myself! It doesn't seem like all that long ago in some respects and yet it was a lifetime ago.

General Hal Moore's book title kind of says it all; "We Were Soldiers Once...and Young".

Hats off to all veterans, whether they served in war or not. It takes someone to step up and serve to keep our country safe and free. Our children and our children's children will have to do this job or this country will not survive.

Army, Marine Corps, Navy, Air Force, Space Force, Coast Guard.
46 CJ-2A #64462 "Ol' Red" (bought April 1969)(second owner)(12 V, 11" brakes, M-38 frame, MD Juan tub)

U.S. Coast Guard Chief Petty Officer(ret.)
U.S. Army Vietnam veteran and damned proud of it.

bight View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar. 2021 at 1:55pm
my father in-law in '65, former keeper of 72586 who passed it on to me, who served two tours in Vietnam.

CJ-2A 72586 tan (stock)
CJ-2A 197624 green (resto-mod)
the wife abides (def: to bear patiently; TOLERATE)
drm101 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote drm101 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar. 2021 at 2:24pm
Great pics and a great story! Thanks for sharing this. 

Dean
'47 CJ2A "Mud Hen"
The less the Power the More the Force
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>