Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Modifications from original
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

wwii go devil engine mods

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb. 2018 at 3:32am
Originally posted by Ol' Unreliable Ol' Unreliable wrote:

It was enough for Vic Hickey.

Well I don't know about that......that statement 'as written' would be fairly debatable.

It it (134L)had been "enough" Vic never would have gone on to pioneer some of the most innovative desert racers of that time......none of which were 134 powered (for obvious reasons).

He got press for his supercharged flattie but then went on to much better things....so "enough" might have been a stretch........just sayin'

'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

"Common sense is not that common"
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb. 2018 at 9:01am
Now I will say that if I were to ever do another Willys it would be a Wagon. And in that wagon would be a Chevy 250 running flat top 307 pistons for a 10-1 compression ratio. A Holley 4 barrel manifold with a Summit Racing self tuning MAX EFI 500 injection setup.  Headers Dual exhaust, MSD ignition. Then into an 11" clutch and a RUG 4spd. (18% OD) Dana 20 transfer case (twin sticked) and Dana 44 axles most likely with 4.88 gears And E Lockers

But that will never happen
Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Late 50's 134L 9.25"clutch T90A D18 (1.25") D44/30 flanged E-Locker D25 5.38 Since 1962
wadoyado View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wadoyado Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb. 2018 at 11:42am
Originally posted by Steelyard Blues Steelyard Blues wrote:

If I could find the parts .........................

Micah
   Thanks for the post from Hot Rod about early "hop up" equip. Always had a strong interest in early speed equip. Another good read from Hot Rod mag. is 1967 Hot rod annual. First article is about Jeeps hill climbing and drag racing at Pismo Beach Calif. pretty amusing story about "Rat Patrol", which was a new show back then.....wonder if those guys or off spring are still around? There's a pic in the article of a relatively stock CJ2A with home made header and 2 carb set-up similar the one you showed. In the same book is Bonneville 1967 with great pic's and write up about Burt Munro(worlds fastest Indian) Warner Rileys 160mph stock Harley Sporster. There's also an article of step by step SBC rebuild guide......The book was like my "bible" growing up. I'd really like to have this conversation around the campfire tipping a few brewski's with all you guys that posted on this thread. Joe W
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the jeep you've been driving all your life" (Mickey Mantle paraphrase)
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb. 2018 at 5:37pm
wadoyado I have that issue of Hot Rod in my little collection of jeep stuff. First time someone mentioned it back in 2003-4 I jumped on eBay and found one. Now I have to look for the 67 annual.
Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Late 50's 134L 9.25"clutch T90A D18 (1.25") D44/30 flanged E-Locker D25 5.38 Since 1962
willys54wagon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote willys54wagon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb. 2018 at 7:45pm
I was thinking more of GI mods.

But looking at the history of the 134, No one can beat the mods by Roos in 1939. not bad for a 1926 engine with orig 30 hp.

http://www.fourwheeler.com/features/1408-the-willys-go-devil-engine-jeep-encyclopedia/

Job one for Roos was to redo the anemic Willys four and do it on a budget. The Willys four had appeared in the 1926 Whippet, which was the company’s first economy car, albeit an upscale one. It displaced 134.2 ci, just like the later Go-Devil, but only made 30 hp. By the late ‘30s, the Willys four was making 48 hp with a few upgrades, but it had become notoriously unreliable and was well under the market’s power curve.

Roos’ reliability benchmark was 100 hours at full power. One of his first tasks was to strap the 48hp engine to a dyno. It lasted 22 hours at 3,400 rpm—’nuff said. Roos and his staff set to modernizing the engine, incorporating insert bearings, a fully counterbalanced crankshaft, aluminum pistons, a fully pressurized lubrication system, and a revised valvetrain. In just a few months, the new engine was ready for the dyno. It exceeded 100 hours at over 60 hp at a whopping 4,400 rpm. Success! The new engine was dubbed Go-Devil and first appeared in some of the 1939 Willys cars rated at 61 hp at 3600 rpm. In 1940, when the stylish new Willys 440 (4-cylinder, 1940) models appeared, they were all powered by the Go-Devil, as were the ’41 441 and ’42 442.
Two jeeps on the road, one is close and the rest are dreams.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote willys54wagon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb. 2018 at 7:49pm
modified after the war for 68HP?

The Go-Devil was not used in the short-lived post-war Willys Aero cars but was used in the Kaiser Henry-J from ’51 to ‘55 and its Sears clone, the Allstate. These engines featured a 7:1 compression ratio, uprated intake system and were rated for 68 hp and 109 lb-ft of torque—the highest stock ratings t
wadoyado View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wadoyado Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb. 2018 at 8:39pm
Originally posted by willys54wagon willys54wagon wrote:

modified after the war for 68HP?

These engines featured a 7:1 compression ratio, uprated intake system and were rated for 68 hp and 109 lb-ft of torque—the highest stock ratings t
       I was just about to post the same question you asked. I'll take that extra 8 H.P. I know about the head, what about the intake upgrade they mention? I 've heard the ford model T 4 banger got a significant H.P. increase by increasing the size of intake valves. It wasn't simply putting overhead intakes in the F head as Luzon red said for the very significant increase but diameter of the valve also. So any body know the limits of intake valve size on the L head engine? Maybe I'm just getting old but I find a mild hop-up on a stock engine peferable to a engine swap. Joe W
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the jeep you've been driving all your life" (Mickey Mantle paraphrase)
wadoyado View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wadoyado Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb. 2018 at 8:54pm
Originally posted by Mark W. Mark W. wrote:

wadoyado I have that issue of Hot Rod in my little collection of jeep stuff. First time someone mentioned it back in 2003-4 I jumped on eBay and found one. Now I have to look for the 67 annual.
   Mark hope you find it, my book is missing the front cover, and 50yr old grease finger prints on the SBC section but its packed with many interesting articles cover to cover. They mention Pasadena Jeep Club I wondered with your father being in a Jeep club back in the day if you knew of the history. Those guys where the pioneers
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb. 2018 at 9:08pm
I was to young at the time to know anything about any other clubs save the ones in the local area. I do know Jeep Clubs were a BIG thing in the 60's with guys like my dad pulling junker jeeps out of fields and getting them back on the road and trails.
Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Steelyard Blues View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steelyard Blues Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb. 2018 at 3:38am
I spoke with this seller to see if he had a line on any parts. Unfortunately, he didn't. Pretty cool restoration:

Micah
1947 CJ2A 106327, Engine J109205, Tub 97077. Luzon Red

https://www.thecj2apage.com/forums/steelyard-blues_topic41024_post397981.html?KW=micah+movie#397981

1965 Johnson Furnace Company M416 #6-1577
Ol' Unreliable View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb. 2018 at 4:27am
Originally posted by wadoyado wadoyado wrote:

...In the same book is Bonneville 1967 with great pic's and write up about Burt Munro(worlds fastest Indian)...

Have you ever seen the movie "The World's Fastest Indian"?  It starred Anthony Hopkins and it was pretty good. 

http://https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0412080/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1
There's a reason it's called Ol' Unreliable

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote willys54wagon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb. 2018 at 4:49am
Here is the Henry J shop manual with the extra 68 hp.   maybe some of you can figure out what the dif was?

http://circlekf.com/kflit/SM/kfsm580.html
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb. 2018 at 7:24am
your shop manual stops at the start of the engine specifications. SO that kind of screws it as a reference.

But the reason the Car engine has 8 more HP then the Jeep engine is simple compression ratio. They also ran a Vacuum advance distributor (not that that would increase HP but if does improve mileage and drivability)
Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
wadoyado View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wadoyado Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb. 2018 at 12:23pm
Originally posted by Mark W. Mark W. wrote:

But the reason the Car engine has 8 more HP then the Jeep engine is simple compression ratio
               I'm not so sure about that, the valve seats appear to be sunk deeper almost like a recessed area around the valves definetly different than any stock block I've seen, pure speculation on my part though. Joe Wadoyado
Lee MN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lee MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb. 2018 at 2:17pm
Originally posted by LuzonRed47 LuzonRed47 wrote:

Too bad W-O was so cheap and didn't design an all-new OHV engine with 5 main bearings, but that would have been revolutionary in 1949. 

They did! (not sure on main brg. Count). Later they chopped 2 cylinders off the 230-6 Tornado, and had a sweet OHC, crossflow head 4 cylinder, never went into production!    I'm guessing the V-6 made more sense!.

Lee
               LEE
44 GPW-The Perfected Willys
49 2A
“If you wait, you only get older”
67 M715
American Made Rolling History
LuzonRed47 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LuzonRed47 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb. 2018 at 3:02pm
Lee, I wasn't aware of a prototype 4-cylinder version of the OHC 230--do you know of any photos? This would have been (given proper engineering development and testing) quite a high-spec engine for Jeep. Crossflow-head SOHC with hemi chambers. An aluminum head would have been even better.

By the time Kaiser had all the OHC six's design bugs worked out, they killed the engine in production.
CJ2A #140275 "Ziggie" (purchased new by my dad in 1947)
ACM #124334
CJ3A windshield, Warn Overdrive
1953 Strick M100 trailer
Serial #18253

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote willys54wagon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb. 2018 at 7:50pm
there is a parts list at this site

http://www.henryjcars.com/hjc77/jimb/jims.html
Lee MN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lee MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb. 2018 at 11:42pm
Originally posted by LuzonRed47 LuzonRed47 wrote:

Lee, I wasn't aware of a prototype 4-cylinder version of the OHC 230--do you know of any photos? This would have been (given proper engineering development and testing) quite a high-spec engine for Jeep. Crossflow-head SOHC with hemi chambers. An aluminum head would have been even better.

By the time Kaiser had all the OHC six's design bugs worked out, they killed the engine in production.

I do not have photo's!, I have seen an engine!.

Lee
               LEE
44 GPW-The Perfected Willys
49 2A
“If you wait, you only get older”
67 M715
American Made Rolling History
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>