Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

You guys ever.......?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hillwillys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: You guys ever.......?
    Posted: 12 Apr. 2021 at 12:13pm
....Go to look at a couple jeep parts and end up bringing a whole damn Jeep home? 

Well that’s what me and my son did yesterday. ‘51 Cj3a. Sheet metal is in decent condition, there are a couple spots that need a little attention, needs some floor pan repair, but it’s not terrible the tailgate hinges are bad and the toolbox hinge is toast, 4 mutt wheels and one original wheel. I was told the engine doesn’t turn by hand. Transmission and transfer case shifters shift smooth. I looked in the transmission through the shift tower and it looks good. Someone else also came to look at it while I was there and he said it was an mb frame. I don’t know how to tell, I did a little research and there WERE holes where a machine gun mount would go but other than that I don’t know any key identifying factors and I didn’t look at the frame tag. 

I told my wife “I’m going to look at some jeep parts and get a few things” 

The Jeep was disassembled, so technically I didn’t lie when I said I was getting Jeep “parts” LOLLOLLOL

I’ve got to figure out how to get it all to the house now. I’m thinking about trying to squeeze the tub into the bed of the truck if it will fit, the frame has a tow bar so I’m thinking about flat towing it behind the truck, about 40 miles. 

The pic shows the jeep before the people I bought it from, bought it and disassembled it. I paid less than half of the price on the sign from when they bought it. I’ll get more pics when I get it home in a few days. 

uncamoney View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uncamoney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr. 2021 at 12:35pm
If you got it for half the price, you got a good deal. Some indicators of MB frames are the machinegun mounts and the  front gussets.
john
Hillwillys View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hillwillys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr. 2021 at 1:02pm
Yea a little less than half price. I’m happy with it. It’s pretty darn complete. Oil filter and bracket, original oil bath air filter and air horn, radiator fan shroud etc. all bolt on parts. Plus the chaff screen (what I originally went to look at LOL) the person I got it from said the previous owner said it was “running when parked” but he couldn’t get it to turn over by hand now. It’s been under a pole barn for many years so hopefully it’s not too bad. I’ll take a better look at the frame when I get it home. I’m not too concerned about it being an mb frame or not. It would be really cool if it was, but it’s not a big deal either way. 

Edited by Hillwillys - 12 Apr. 2021 at 1:31pm
Joe Friday View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joe Friday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr. 2021 at 1:39pm
Don't think it's an MB frame.
Looks all CJ3A

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hillwillys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr. 2021 at 2:06pm
I didn’t think it was either. It all looks fairly original and complete except for the mutt wheels. The other potential buyer that came to look at it looked at a few things and said “this is an mb frame”. 
Like I said I have no idea, just passing on his speculation. It would be kinda cool, but honestly I would be happier if it was the original Cj3a frame. 
I’m going to read up on flat towing in a little bit, and try to find some tub measurements to see if the tub will fit in my truck bed so I can get this thing home. If that doesn’t work I may have to borrow a trailer. 
SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr. 2021 at 2:17pm
It would be better if it were trailered because you don't know the condition of the drivetrain. If you want to flat tow it, take the driveshafts out of the jeep, front and rear.
46 CJ-2A #64462 "Ol' Red" (bought April 1969)(second owner)(12 V, 11" brakes, M-38 frame, MD Juan tub)

U.S. Coast Guard Chief Petty Officer(ret.)
U.S. Army Vietnam veteran and damned proud of it.

uncamoney View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uncamoney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr. 2021 at 2:21pm
All things could have swapped over the years. Most old Jeeps became "Mutts".
john
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joe Friday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr. 2021 at 2:35pm
Get a trailer. You don't want to try to tow a frame without the body and steering column in place.
cpt logger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cpt logger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr. 2021 at 2:43pm
Heck, strap the tub onto the frame & go! If necessary, slip some 2X4s between the tub & the frame. This way you can use the tub to put Jeep parts in. I do this kind of thing often. Yes, I am crazy.

In answer to the titled question, I can not count the times I went to look at some parts just to drag home a rig or two. I once went to look at a 25 HP VW engine for a 1949 Bug. I came home with 3 Beetles, 2 Buses, 1 Trike, 2 Dune Buggies, 1 Square Back, & 5 pickup & trailer loads of VW/Triumph motorcycle parts. Note: All the rigs were also full of parts. It was an epic day/week.

Another time I went to deliver some firewood & pickup some hay I had got in a trade. I came home with the hay & 4 motorcycles. They just wanted the bikes gone. Who am I to say no? I am here to help you-all out in this area.

I am amazed that I am still married to the same lovely lady after 36 years of this kind of thing. She is a keeper!
uncamoney View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uncamoney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr. 2021 at 2:48pm
The steering can get fairly odd without a steering box, but they can get strange anyway. I've had to fix things a few times before, Dragging front tires on the road was not a fun time.
john

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cpt logger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr. 2021 at 2:59pm
If the steering box is off or disconnected, do not flat tow it. Trust me on this. It did not work well on our ranch roads.

However, a tow dolly works well if this is an issue. Cheaper & easier than a trailer. I would still put the tub on the frame.

Oh, the tub will fit in a full sized pickup bed, it is a bit of a hassle though.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cpt logger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr. 2021 at 3:03pm
Originally posted by Joe Friday Joe Friday wrote:

Get a trailer. You don't want to try to tow a frame without the body and steering column in place.

Why do you say this? I agree on the steering, but minus the tub, IME, is not an issue.

I have turned the tub around & strapped it back on with the bed in its original place. That way I did not have to mess with getting the tub over the steering wheel. Again, I am crazy.

Edited for spelling.

Edited by cpt logger - 12 Apr. 2021 at 3:10pm

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hillwillys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr. 2021 at 3:10pm
Cpt logger, 

That’s hilarious. And it definitely sounds epic! Lol. 

Thanks for the advice guys, I’ll get a trailer. The wheels in my head were turning with the anticipation of getting it home and digging in and I was thinking “hey it has a tow bar”....LOL  
it has the steering box, just not bolted on. I’ll just borrow a trailer and do it that way. I think it will be easier with a trailer. My truck is full size but come to think of it, I don’t want to wrestle the tub in and out of the bed. It may take a couple days to round up a trailer, but thats probably the smartest move. 

Edited by Hillwillys - 12 Apr. 2021 at 3:13pm

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cpt logger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr. 2021 at 3:11pm
Good call.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hillwillys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr. 2021 at 3:23pm
My dilemma now is:
my red ‘47 is the jeep I’m trying to get 100% mechanically sound and be capable of being a daily driver, not my daily, but capable of the task.
My gray ‘52 runs really good and has brand new braking system, but the body is pretty rough. 
The green ‘51 I’m getting has much better sheet metal than the ‘52 and I was contemplating swapping tubs with the ‘52. BUT I really hate to make Jeep salad if the frame is original to the tub and engine on the green Jeep. I know it’s not as important that the “numbers match” on these old Jeeps as say a really rare muscle car or something, and I know the numbers don’t always “match” from the factory, but in my mind it’s just not right. Lol. The green ‘51 seems to be in pretty darn good shape and IF all original, I’d like to keep it that way. But On the other hand if I swapped tubs, I could have a good running jeep with pretty good sheet metal. First world problems...LOL
Once I get it home I’m going to start checking it out better and seeing if the frame, tub and engine numbers are close and get a better idea of the condition of everything and go from there.

Also I hope you guys don’t mind me posting about my 3a’s here. I know there is a 3a page, but it seems like there is more activity here and well, it’s just less complicated to be on one forum instead of posting and keeping up with two different forums 

Edited by Hillwillys - 12 Apr. 2021 at 3:24pm
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joe Friday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr. 2021 at 4:54pm
Originally posted by cpt logger cpt logger wrote:

Originally posted by Joe Friday Joe Friday wrote:

Why do you say this? I agree on the steering, but minus the tub, IME, is not an issue.

I have turned the tub around & strapped it back on with the bed in its original place. That way I did not have to mess with getting the tub over the steering wheel. Again, I am crazy.

Admittedly, I was thinking he meant towing the bare frame with no engine in it either.
My experience was that without the weight of the body there wasn't enough positive caster to get the tires to self center after turns, the tires pull to full lock one way or the other and stay there.

sparky13 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sparky13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr. 2021 at 1:02am
Did you get a title with the Jeep? If you did, I would get it running and driving. That Jeep looks pretty complete from what I can see. Put marvel mystery oil down the sparky plug holes and let it soak for a couple of days. Then try and turn it over and see what you get.  
Mark
1946 CJ2A
SlaterDoc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SlaterDoc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr. 2021 at 1:12am
Take a gander underneath and see if you have something like this:
The 3A tub could have been added on.

There were a limited number of 2A's that used up left over MB frames that they just willy-nilly cut the gun mount. They are considered quite rare and desireable. Check out this tube about them.
Have you checked for the frame tag yet?

Edited by SlaterDoc - 13 Apr. 2021 at 1:15am
Once a Navy man, always a Navy man!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>