Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Off-Topic area
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

YouTube video I watched

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thing 2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: YouTube video I watched
    Posted: 27 Sep. 2018 at 2:46pm
Last night I was watching a YouTube video of a group of Jeep’s doing what Jeep’s do outdoors. I think it’s a video presentation by jpet. Out of all the Jeep’s present, I saw one blue Jeep with what appears to be larger than stock 16” knobby tires. That particular Jeep appears to have an advantage with respect to climbing over rough terrain. Traverersed all obstacles with relative ease. My question is: what’s the tire size and source for the wheels and is there any more undercarriage changes necessary to get that results. 
Additionally: grandpa’s Jeep seemed to have little trouble with the same terrain but it appears that his Jeep is pretty much stock  I’ve got two stock 1946 Jeep’s in the process of getting outfitted for rough terrain and I’m curious about what works best, big wheels or go stock?
smfulle View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep. 2018 at 2:58pm
Originally posted by Thing 2 Thing 2 wrote:

Last night I was watching a YouTube video of a group of Jeep’s doing what Jeep’s do outdoors. I think it’s a video presentation by jpet. Out of all the Jeep’s present, I saw one blue Jeep with what appears to be larger than stock 16” knobby tires. That particular Jeep appears to have an advantage with respect to climbing over rough terrain. Traverersed all obstacles with relative ease. My question is: what’s the tire size and source for the wheels and is there any more undercarriage changes necessary to get that results. 
Additionally: grandpa’s Jeep seemed to have little trouble with the same terrain but it appears that his Jeep is pretty much stock  I’ve got two stock 1946 Jeep’s in the process of getting outfitted for rough terrain and I’m curious about what works best, big wheels or go stock?

Here's Rick's thread where he talks about his Swampers.

Grampa's Jeep has front and rear Lock Right lockers in the stock axles, a T90C transmission (slightly lower 1st and 2nd gear), and Tera Low gear set in the stock D18 transfer case.

Ricks tall Swampers and lifted springs give his jeep, Gus, an advantage in getting over things, but he he is higher in the air and more likely to tip on off camber situations.

Grampa's jeep's smaller NDTs and lower belly make it so I scrape my skid plate more than Rick, but I feel pretty comfortable on off camber situations and steep slopes. 

You kind of pick your poison.
Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton
Grampa's Jeep Build Thread
Thing 2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thing 2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep. 2018 at 3:52am
Not familiar with Lock Right. Is that a product available
smfulle View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep. 2018 at 3:59am
Brand name for Power Trax lunch box locker. Very similar to a Detroit Locker. It’s oretty much the only locker available for the sticj d25 and d41 1” spline axles.

Edited by smfulle - 01 Oct. 2018 at 6:58pm
Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton
Thing 2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thing 2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct. 2018 at 6:36pm
I’m picking Grandpa’s poison. I understand that lower CG argument. Is there a DIY video out there that shows how to put the locker kits in both the front and back. I get a lot of information from such videos prior to getting into such mechanisms. Watched you guys on Rubicon last night on YouTube. Had no idea these jeeps were so capable. I have two 1946 CJ2A in pretty much stock shape. In participating in the trips your group takes, is registration and a tag necessary?  I have one Jeep with proper VIN #,the other Jeep was robbed of all ID plates. I use both jeeps as rented mules on 15 acres I own, without tags and registration. Never planned on driving on the highway.
smfulle View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct. 2018 at 6:56pm
Depends on where you live and what you want to do with your rig as to what type of registration and tags you need. The Rubicon trip we trailered to one end of the trail and then had to drive on the highway a long way around to get back to or trailers after we came out on the other end. In Moab, many of the trails are near town and we base out of a campground so we need street legal tags to get to the trail head. 
So I guess the bottom line on tags is, if you are going to keep it on the farm as a gas powered mule, then tags aren't a worry, but if you want to get out on the trails, at lest the ones that we run, it's best to be street legal.

Here's a "how to" that I did on installing the Lock Right in the front stock axle of Grampa's Jeep. Pretty easy job if you have any mechanical experience.

Edited by smfulle - 01 Oct. 2018 at 6:59pm
Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton
Greaser007 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greaser007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct. 2018 at 7:45pm
   I didn't run stock tires on my CJ2A.
My preference is a 32-11.50 with 1-inch of lift, and let the skid plates do their job of sliding over obstacles.

The photo is near the top of the Big Sluice on the Rubicon trail going down into the Rubicon River canyon taken summer 1985.
   My preference was to always turn around at the Rubicon Springs and climb back out and return to the trail head on the western end at either Loon Lake or Wentworth Springs. Such a fun trail, but hard on machine.

Those 34-inch swampers provide robust clearance for ease of travel :)
Rick G View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick G Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct. 2018 at 6:55am
Yes, those few extra inches of ground clearance afforded by the 34” super swampers were nice on both trips thru the Rubicon, but what made the difference for me this year vs last, was the lower gearing by installing the Rockeaters.  It made the Rubicon truly enjoyable this year.

Greaser, I love the photo!  That’s about the time I heard of the Rubicon and wanted to do it ever since then.  So glad I did it.
1947 CJ2a #119929    "Gus"
1951 CJ3a #451-GB1-24268   “Newt”

My Videos
jeeper50 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeeper50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct. 2018 at 1:42pm
Originally posted by Greaser007 Greaser007 wrote:

I didn't run stock tires on my CJ2A.
My preference is a 32-11.50 with 1-inch of lift, and let the skid plates do their job of sliding over obstacles.

The photo is near the top of the Big Sluice on the Rubicon trail going down into the Rubicon River canyon taken summer 1985.
   My preference was to always turn around at the Rubicon Springs and climb back out and return to the trail head on the western end at either Loon Lake or Wentworth Springs. Such a fun trail, but hard on machine.

Those 34-inch swampers provide robust clearance for ease of travel :)

Wish they still made the Armstrong tru tracs, I ran them back then also. 

Belleview ol skool winch soon.
'48 CJ2A 283 V8 sm 420 granny low, tera low D18, overdrive,lockers

Texan at heart,Alabama by retirement

Post Reply Post Reply